MMA Odds and Ends for Thursday: Bryan Caraway vs Cody Stamann added to UFC 222
Bryan Caraway vs Cody Stamann at UFC 222
The Las Vegas Review Journal is reporting that top bantamweight contenders Bryan Caraway and Cody Stamann have been matched opposite one another at UFC 222 in March. Caraway (21-7) hasn't fought since upsetting top prospect Aljamain Sterling in May of 2016 while Stamann (16-1) dethroned a top prospect himself in Tom Duquesnoy this past October via split decision.
Caraway is bigger name of the two and while he doesn't possess Stamann's wrestling acumen, he's a bit more well-rounded and is the more dangerous grappler overall. I would expect Caraway to open as the betting favorite unless the hype behind Stamann becomes immense.
Marion Reneau vs Sara McMann at UFC on Fox 28
With original opponent Tonya Evinger injured, Marion Reneau will now take on Sara McMann in a women's bantamweight clash. Reneau (8-3-1) was originally scheduled to fight a week earlier in Austin, Texas, but she'll instead be competing in Orlando, Florida for the Fox show. McMann (11-4) was on the verge of regaining title contender status before she was submitted in her last bout by Ketlen Vieira.
Despite McMann's recent loss, I expect her to open as the betting favorite due to her wrestling pedigree and athletic ability.
Paige VanZant talks moving to the flyweight division
About the Author
More articles from this author
- Bellator 109's Alexander Shlemenko: 'I see myself winning by knockout as fast as possible'
- MMA Oddsbreaker Rankings Update
- Rallying the MMA Community: The Matt Grice Donation Fund
- Exclusive: Bellator 100's Rick Hawn ready to bring out the inner beast tonight
- Exclusive: Bellator 100's Ben Saunders extremely confident with guardian angel Bobby Robare in his corner