The UFC today suspended heavyweight star Matt Mitirone after his verbal tirade on Monday afternoon’s edition of Ariel Helwani’s “The MMA Hour” concerning transgendered MMA fighter Fallon Fox. Mitirone said, among other things, that Fox is a “lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak” and that Fox getting a fight license is “an embarrassment to us as fighters, as a sport, and we should all protest that.” Just hours after Mitrione made the comments, the UFC posted a statement on their official website that revealed Mitirone had been cut and that a further investigation is taking place. Here’s the statement in full: “The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on the ‘MMA Hour.’ “The organization finds Mr. Mitrione’s comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and — as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC’s code of conduct – Mr. Mitrione’s UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated. “The UFC is a friend and ally of the LGBT community, and expects and requires all 450 of its athletes to treat others with dignity and respect.” Mitrione, who was a contestant on season 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show, improved to 6-2 in his MMA career with his first-round KO victory over Phil De Fries at this past weekend’s UFC on FUEL TV 9 event. The former NFL player bounced back with a much-needed victory after his recent defeats to Cheick Kongo (via decision) at UFC 137 and Roy Nelson (via TKO) at the TUF 16 Finale. The UFC didn’t say how long the suspension was for, but it’s possible that after the investigation into the comments takes place Mitrione is cut from the UFC roster, because it appears as though he crossed an invisible line that the UFC deemed too offensive. The suspension, in a way, is also a message to other UFC fighters that the promotion will not tolerate comments about Fox, who was born a man but who is now a woman. Fox is 2-0 and is next set to fight in May. Colin Fletcher Cut By UFC The UFC must not have been in a good mood today, as it was today announced that lightweight Colin Fletcher has been released by the UFC. Fletcher broke the news himself via Twitter, writing: “Is it just me or does cut after 1 official UFC fight seam a little harsh I know I didn’t perform my best ! Neva mind” Fletcher (8-3) went 0-2 in the UFC with decision losses to Norman Parke at UFC on FX 6 and Mike Ricci at UFC 158. Fletcher, a submission expert who has seven wins via tapout in his career, is 6’3″ and has an 80-inch reach so it’s a little surprising to see the UFC let go of him so soon because of his unique skillset, and especially since he’s turned into a little bit of a fan favorite due to his “Freakshow” gimmick. With Fletcher cut, expect the names of more recently-released UFC fighters after the last few cards (UFC 158, UFC on FUEL TV 9) to start popping up, because, as UFC president Dana White said at UFC 157, “the blood has not all been spilled” as far as roster cuts go. Expect Fletcher to get picked up by the UK-based Cage Warriors organization, although it wouldn’t be shocking to see Bellator sign him.