ONE Championship 75 Opening Odds Reactions
ONE Championship 75 takes place Friday, June 29 at Thuwunna Indoor Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar. The opening odds for the card were recently released by the offshore sportsbooks, and here they are.
ONE Championship 75 Opening Odds
Aung La Nsang -320
Ken Hasegawa +240
Leandro Issa -365
Roman Alvarez +255
Rafael Nunes -190
Tetsuya Yamada +150
Sagetdao Petpayathai -195
Ma Jei Wen +155
Here are my initial thoughts on the odds:
- The main event featues ONE's middleweight champion Nsang put his title on the line against Hasegawa. Nsang (22-10, 1 NC) is a 32-year-old native of Myanmar and has a 7-1 record in ONE. He actually has 15 years of MMA experience and has competed for promotions such as Bellator, Ring of Combat, and CFFC, fighting a relatively high level of competition along the way, including the likes of Uriah Hall and Costas Philippou. Nsang was finished quite often earlier in his career but has really come on strong in recent years and has turned into a well-rounded finisher. Hasegawa (16-2-1) is a 31-year-old native of Japan and has fought in DEEP, Titan FC, and RIZIN. He has won four of his last five fights since getting finished by Bellator veteran Brennan Ward in Titan. This is a good fight but I favor Nsang to defend his title. He's looked really strong in ONE, and should be able to finish Hasegawa within 25 minutes.
- An intriguing bantamweight bout sees UFC vet Issa take on Alvarez. Issa (15-6) went 2-3 in the UFC before being released and has since bounced back with two-straight wins in ONE. The 34-year-old native of Brazil has an overall record of 5-1 in ONE and is quickly making a run for the bantamweight title. If he can go out there and finish some more fights, he may just get that opportunity. Alvarez (8-1) is a 23-year-old native of the Northern Mariana Islands and is making his ONE debut. He's won seven fights by stoppage in his career and is a veteran of PXC. According to his Tapology profile, he made his MMA debut in 2008 which means he was 13-years-old when he first started competing, which blows my mind. Alvarez might become a decent fighter but I feel like Issa is a massive step up in competition. My pick is going to be Issa, and I think he can go out there and latch onto a submission for the victory.
- In a featherweight showcase, Nunes takes on Yamada. Nunes (11-1) is a 30-year-old native of Brazil and has racked up a 1-1 record so far in ONE. He recently returned from a four-year layoff to defeat Eric Kelly via submission. Prior to his stint in ONE, he racked up a number of stoppage wins on the Brazilian regional circuit. Yamada (25-6-2) is a long-time veteran of the sport and has competed for promotions such as ONE, Sengoku, ZST and Cage. Overall, his record in ONE is 3-1 and in his last bout he submitted Kelly as well. Overall, he's won eight of his last nine fights. Of all the fights on this card, I think this one has the most potential for an upset. Yamada has more experience than Nunes and has been far more active. I think he has what it takes to go out there and get the win.
- Another featherweight matchup sees Petpayathai take on Wen. Petpayathai (3-0) is a 31-year-old native of Thailand and has racked up three-straight wins in ONE, with all three coming via strikes. He has excellent muay Thai and is someone to keep your eye on in ONE. Wen (5-2) is a 20-year-old native of China and all of his pro fights have come in ONE. He's won his last three fights via stoppage and looks like he has a lot of potential. Though Petpayathai is the better striker, Wen has a lot of untappped potential. Considering he's 10 years younger, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see him make massive improvements from his last fight and go out there and get a big win over his elder opponent. This is one fight that I would stay away from from a betting perspective.
Tags: opening odds
About the Author
Mixed martial arts journalist. Lead writer for MMAOddsbreaker.com and also featured at @MMARatingsNet, @mmanews_com and @fightodds_io.
More articles from this author
- Bellator 109 Sneak Peek: Rick Hawn (-450) vs. Ron Keslar (+330)
- Bellator 109 Sneak Peak: Alexander "Tiger" Sarnavskiy (-195) vs. Will Brooks (+160)
- MMA Betting Odds and Ends for Tuesday, January 22
- MMA Odds and Ends for Monday: Mitrione Suspended By UFC
- UFC Fight Night 40 Opening Odds Breakdown: Erick Silva vs. Matt Brown