Could GGG vs Canelo 2 be marred by Adalaide Byrd again?
Many boxing and mixed martial arts fans are aware of Adalaide Byrd, a judge employed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission with a history of horrific scorecards on her record.
The boxing world was put into a frenzy in 2017 when Byrd scored the Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin fight 118-112 for Alvarez, which was significantly different than how the rest of the world and the other two judges scored the bout. The other judges had it 115-113 Golovkin and a 114-114 draw, which resulted in a split draw.
Byrd also drew flack in the MMA world by scoring the original Leonard Garcia vs Nam Phan bout for Garcia, one of 2010's biggest robberies. That being said, she's known more for her poor boxing judging, including her famous scorecard for 2008 Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Calzaghe bout where she was the lone dissenter by a wide margin, siding with Hopkins in a fight he had clearly lost.
MMAOB boxing aficionado Miguel Iturrate wrote a piece over on GetMoreSports.com about the potential for Byrd to return as a judge for the upcoming rematch, including prop betting odds that Byrd will be one of the bout's judges.
Iturrate is also asking readers to chime in their thoughts about Byrd potentially being a judge for the rematch on Twitter. If you have an opinion about her judging, you're asked to use the hashtag #BadByrd to join the online conversation.
About the Author
More articles from this author
- Bellator 109's Alexander Shlemenko: 'I see myself winning by knockout as fast as possible'
- MMA Oddsbreaker Rankings Update
- Rallying the MMA Community: The Matt Grice Donation Fund
- Exclusive: Bellator 100's Rick Hawn ready to bring out the inner beast tonight
- Exclusive: Bellator 100's Ben Saunders extremely confident with guardian angel Bobby Robare in his corner