MMA Odds and Ends for Friday: Matt Brown vs Carlos Condit booked for April
Brown vs Condit at UFC on FOX 29
Matt Brown is officially unretired. "The Immortal" announced as much yesterday in an Instagram post. His upcoming opponent will be former interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit at UFC on Fox 29 on April 14th. Brown (21-16) ended a three-fight skid by brutally knocking out Diego Sanchez in what was supposed to be his retirement fight this past November. Condit (30-11) has now lost three consecutive bouts after returning from a hiatus and losing a decision to Neil Magny at UFC 219 four weeks ago.
Despite Condit having more success against better competition, Brown might open a slight favorite due to how poor Condit looked in his return bout.
Lauzon vs Gruetzemacher at UFC 223
Newsday reported a lightweight bout has been booked between veteran Joe Lauzon and Chris Gruetzemacher for UFC 223 in March. Lauzon (27-14) is on a two-fight losing streak and was recently knocked out by Clay Guida this past November. Gruetzemacher (13-3) is also on a two-fight skid, being submitted in his last two defeats.
Lauzon has the name value and excellent submission ability, so I would expect him to open as the favorite, although it seems he's also nearing the end of his career, which could give Gruetzemacher a decent chance to win.
UFC on Fox 28 Open Workouts
About the Author
More articles from this author
- Bellator 109's Alexander Shlemenko: 'I see myself winning by knockout as fast as possible'
- MMA Oddsbreaker Rankings Update
- Rallying the MMA Community: The Matt Grice Donation Fund
- Exclusive: Bellator 100's Rick Hawn ready to bring out the inner beast tonight
- Exclusive: Bellator 100's Ben Saunders extremely confident with guardian angel Bobby Robare in his corner